Free Write

   Going to church on Christmas and Easter was always an expectation in my family. Crosses of assorted colors and sizes covered the walls of my grandmother's house. I can't think of a time where we didn't say grace before a meal. For as long as I can remember, religion has been a large part of my family, but I've never been able to truly connect with the the prayers and things said in Church.
   I remember my mom always trying to get me to go to church with her, then I would make up excuses to get out of going. While I know going to Church it is very important to some people, I have never felt the need to go or understood why it was so necessary. One time my mom told me she felt like she didn't do a good job of raising my sister and I because of our lack of religiousness. When she said that, I felt like I had disappointed her, but I knew that no matter how much I prayed or attended Church, my feelings about religion wouldn't change. I don't think being raised to have certain beliefs really change who a person is. Some people feel a connection to God, and some don't. Whether or not they do, it doesn't make them a better or worse person. 
  Your family has one of the biggest influences on you and your beliefs. I think by only basing your opinions off of your family member's is not being true to yourself, but it can be hard to stray away from their views. Luckily, my parents are pretty accepting of my opinions, but that's not true for a lot of people, and they may risk their relationship with their families by having an opinion or religion that's different than their families. 
   Religion plays a different role in everyone's lives, but it means something different to everyone. It may completely change someone's life, or it may have no effect. It can be good for people who feel a need to be religious in order to be a better person, but it doesn't apply to everyone. There's nothing I have against being religious, it just doesn't have an effect on my life, and I haven't felt the need for it. This may change, but for now, I'm perfectly content with not being religious.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review Preview

The Dispatch #5